Jan 25, 2007

woodenland




courtney skott is one of my favourite designer..here is a short interview i made with her..
When did you decide to become a designer?
I grew up loving art and creative endeavors, but thinking I wanted tobe an engineer because I loved math and science. But I didn't likeengineering, so after my first year of university I switched to writing and got a degree in Jourmalism. After college, I worked forseveral years in the Internet industry and co-founded a softwarecompany before deciding that I wanted to do something more creativeprofessionally. I returned to school at 28 to study fashion design, but after a year I decided that furniture was more interesting, and Iwas better at it. So, I basically fell into it after eliminatingeverything else.
Where, or from what, do you get inspiration for your work?
Inspiration comes from all over and I try to keep my eyes open. But Ido love to look at historical designs and see how they might be re-interpreted for today; I'm not so into simply re-creating them. I'm also really interested in textiles and textile techniques from aroundthe world, and patterns from all kinds of sources. I love looking atforms and ideas from industry and technology, to see how they mightbe turned into something elegant and contemporary. For example, my "Corrugated Bench" is inspired by corrugated structures likecardboard and honeycomb panels.
What is your favorite part of the design process and why?
I love the part after you already know what you are making, when you are figuring out how to carry your core concept into every littledetail of the design. It's like a puzzle to me - deciding how all thelittle pieces should fit together to form a cohesive, complete wholethat strikes the viewer, whether or not they know the wholeconceptual background.
What item (PC, pen, etc) can you not do without when you are designing?
My running shoes. I do my best thinking and problem solving while running.
Are there any things or categories of things that you won't design? Why?
I can't think of any right now. Weapons, probably. I don't think Icould make a case for doing that.
How would you categorize your work?
Contemporary, but not minimalist.
Who would you like to design something for?
Jongerius Lab. Maybe Moooi.
Your favorite designers?
Hella Jongerius, hands down. I love how she makes history contemporary.
What's next?
I'm exploring several ideas right now. So far all I have made is a bunch of prototypes and art pieces. I would love to put somethinginto production and learn about manufacturing. But I'm also resistantto making more Stuff at a time when we need to be thinking morecarefully about our resources. I've been thinking about rescuing discarded sofas and chairs from around the city, and re-upholsteringthem in really unusual ways - sort of found object/ one-of-a-kind functional art.

No comments: